Monday, June 16, 2014

Avalanche Lilies



Avalanche Lilies

At breakfast, Earth aimlessly sloshes milk against
the ocean’s rim, inundating cities.
When I speak to her  – of suffering and indifference –
she slips from her chair goes outside to play without
a backward glance.  
I pray for permission to be excused.

                                    *
Driving the Yakima Canyon
My finger tip caresses her
hill’s scared brown shoulders
while she sleeps.   
I don’t think my touch will awaken her. 
She’s slept through glaciers on a
Scabland bench.  She doesn’t
Expect or give compassion. 
I love and hate how little she needs me.

Later, I drive by the place where the bank
gave way boulders fell
taking everyone underground.
I look into the bewildered eyes
Of a child searching the sleeve
of his father’s jacket for an
amputated arm.
                                    *

She never forgets, relents,
regrets, repents. But in her
mountain meadows
the snow blind are healed by
Avalanche Lilies


LFM

No comments:

Post a Comment