Thursday, January 23, 2014

Meet Son for Lunch

Meet Son for Lunch

I arrive early to order and pay
          Not like the old days
          When I used to pass this place
                    With empty pockets and
                    Six mouths to feed

I get our order early so
          We can talk for the full thirty minutes.
           I hope he knows how
                    The time he gives feeds me.

We have taken turns
          Being one another’s nightmare
          Now we are both trying
                    To turn a nightlight on provide a cup of water

We are sharing surprise at how
          Dry a workingman’s throat becomes
                    By noon


 LFM

8 comments:

  1. What a deeply moving poem Lowell...I love this. As a parent, can relate on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem and very appreciative of your comment here. Congratulations on the upcoming publication of your own poems.

      Delete
  2. Saw your ModPo link to your blog & poem. Enjoyed the poem. I too am a ModPoer with a poetry blog. Check it out at http://maudespoems.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note, Maude. I will visit your blog soon.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes a poem arrives at the perfect time for a needy reader. That would be me right now, so I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleanor, nothing could give me more pleasure than to think my poem met you need.

      Delete
  4. POW! You got me right between the eyes. I found this so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I recognise this from the inside. I am doing the intermittent nightmare dance with my sons and trying to get way beyond that with my own mother. There is a different flavour to it with each of my sons.

    ReplyDelete